[j-nsp] Juniper MPC2E-3D-NG-R-B vs MPC2E-3D-R-B

Andrey Kostin ankost at podolsk.ru
Fri Nov 2 12:14:37 EDT 2018

Hi Pavel,

HQoS is needed for subscriber aggregation, exactly for the case that is
discussed in another thread "Juniper buffer float".
NG cards without HQoS can be configured for "flexible mode" which is
HQoS limited to 32k queues. It's suitable for example if you have some
number of vlans and want to do per-vlan shaping and queueing. For
example, 32k queues with 4 queue per interface will allow to serve 8000
subinterfaces. On MPC2E-NG it means that you can do per-vlan QoS on 8
10G ports with 1000 vlans on each port - not bad in compare with old
non-NG non-Q cards that can do queueing only on physical interfaces. It
will work for small-scale LNS, up to 8k subscribers, but watch out to
not exceed it ;)
Full-scale NG HQoS card allows 512k queues that allows (in theory) to
terminate 64k subscribers with 8 queues per interface.

Kind regards,
Andrey