[j-nsp] Opinions on fusion provider edge

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Nov 8 13:53:31 EST 2018

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 at 20:33, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep, Juniper told us at the time that Fusion was based on open standards (802.1BR) and not proprietary in any way. Funny how they don't support the use of any other 802.1BR complaint device and, I doubt it would work. They must have some property gubbins in there like pushing the Fusion firmware blob from the aggregation device to the satellite device. If the Fusion firmware wasn't on the QFX the MX and QFX wouldn't "bond". Not sure how the MX detects that (LLDP?) - I had a (albeit quick) look at the standard back then and couldn't seen anything related, so I presume an MX AD would reject a random 802.1 BR compatible device.

I would be very surprised if they said 'not proprietary in any way',
I'm sure they said 'based on open standards'.

But that's like saying whatsapp is based on open standards, entirely
true, but it's also hella proprietary, these statements are not
mutually exclusive.

Curiously Fusion seems to be 'expensive' feature, as it's one of the
very few features which do not work with 'hyper-mode', which according
to my co-worker's very recent test is ~25% pps upside.
--
  ++ytti