[j-nsp] Interconnecting spines in spine & leaf networks [ was Re: Opinions on fusion provider edge ]

Pavel Lunin plunin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 19:10:12 EST 2018

Gert Doering wrote:

> EVPN is, basically, just putting a proper control-plane on top of MPLS
> or VXLAN for "L2 routing" - put your MAC addresses into BGP, and it will
> scale like hell.

"Like hell" is the right name for it.

Not that I don't like EVPN but... a) EVPN is not necessarily L2 b) Ethernet
is still Ethernet, even over EVPN. In order to announce the MAC over BGP,
you first need to learn it. With all the consequences and prerequisites.
And, of course, mapping dynamically leaned stuff to BGP announces comes at
a cost of making BGP routes as stable as learned MACs.

Magic doesn't exist.