[j-nsp] IS-IS POI

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 04:52:05 EDT 2018

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 at 11:48, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:

> Hey James,
>
> In this failure mode this feature would help to find the rogue ISIS
> speaker, so looks sensible feature to me, even when very partial
> support it will limit limit the domain where the suspect exists. I've
> personally not used it, and very much hope I'll never have need for
> it.

Hi Saku,

Yeah agreed, it's really helping only in a corner case of possible
issue a network might face so I'm usually against deploying features
that only work or are only used in rare corners, to reduce complexity.
However, I can imagine that the time I need this feature is when
everything is on fire, even the fire is on fire.

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 at 14:55, Pierre Emeriaud <petrus.lt at gmail.com> wrote:

> a subsidiary of $work had an issue with rogue purges. But it wasn't a
> rogue equipment. It was just failing in the (very) wrong way. Their
> network went down for several reaaaally looong hours.

^ This is my concern, multi-vendor network, not all our vendors
support this feature but "some" is better than "none" in this case I
think.

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 at 16:00, Clinton Work <clinton at scripty.com> wrote:
> I support a multi-vendor network with Cisco, Nokia SROS, and Juniper routers.  We've had several incidents with ISIS purge messages that were very difficult to isolate.  Every router needs to support the ISIS POI TLV if you want to isolate the source of the ISIS purge messages which is difficult in a multi-vendor network.  The cause of the ISIS purge messages was faulty hardware that was corrupting the ISIS LSP packets.

^ Again, not all our vendors do support it but even if only the
Junipers do, we can narrow an issue down to a specific Juniper and
checks it's neighborus if they are not Juniper boxes.

Cheers,
James.