[j-nsp] Use cases for IntServ in MPLS backbones

Colby Barth cbarth at juniper.net
Mon Oct 1 08:59:05 EDT 2018

Adam-

There are a couple of clever Diffserv-TE (what your calling IntServ) deployments out there.  Both RDM & MAM are deployed.  Truthfully, they are pretty quiet, mainly, because the upfront planning that is required to go into them and the relative lack of variations in the deployments.  Diffserv-TE offers some interesting per class/sub-pool BW protection options that other deployments(see below) may not. Multi-class LSPs are also possible.

What is much more commonly deployed is what I would refer to as Class-Based Forwarding.  Your still combing COS based forwarding policies (like Diffserv-TE), in the data-plane, with LSP BW reservations in the control-plane but without the sub-pool BW reservations and relatively complicated BW sharing models offered by RDM or MAM.

Both have their place depending on your specific service requirements.

Hth,

-Colby