[j-nsp] Use cases for IntServ in MPLS backbones

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Oct 2 05:59:47 EDT 2018

On 2/Oct/18 11:10, Saku Ytti wrote:

> Have you considered full or short pipe? It would be nice if we'd
> transport DSCP bits as-is, when we don't have to care about them.
> Far-ends may be able to utilise them for improved UX if we don't strip
> them.

We remark all incoming Internet traffic DSCP values to 0.

A few years ago, not doing this led to issues where customers were
handling the DSCP values in such a way that any traffic marked as such
was being dropped. Took weeks to troubleshoot.

For VPN services, there are a few options:

  * We can honour customer's values.
  * We can map customer's values to our own internal values.
  * We can remark customer's values to our own values since the traffic
    is coming in over a known VLAN.

Mark.