[j-nsp] Use cases for IntServ in MPLS backbones

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 06:27:59 EDT 2018

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 11:23, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
> If you are a large network (such as yourselves, Saku) where it's very likely that the majority your customers are talking to each other directly across your backbone, then I could see the case. But when you have customers transiting multiple unique networks before they can talk to each other or to servers, there is really no way you can guarantee that DSCP=1 from source will remain DSCP=1 at destination.

+1. This is what we did in some parts. The way the Internet
connectivity was sold to customers was as a best effort service so
they had no issues with the DSCP being scrubbed to 0 in these places.

Also lots of customer didn't like packets coming in from the Internet
and hitting their section of the WAN with a DSCP marking on it. Some
explicitly asked us to scrub to 0.

Cheers,
James.