[j-nsp] Use cases for IntServ in MPLS backbones

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Oct 2 06:30:10 EDT 2018

On 2/Oct/18 12:24, James Bensley wrote:

> I'm not saying I agree with this 8 classes - just stating what it was
> :) I also agree that most people genuinely don't need more than 3-4.
> We often "helped" (nudged) customers to design their traffic into just
> a few classes.
>
> Here in the land of Her Majesty and cups of tea, if you want to
> operate as part of the Public Services Network (a national effort to
> provide unified services to the public sector across multiple
> providers to stamp out any monopoly) you must comply with their 6
> class model [1]:
> https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/psn-quality-of-service-qos-specification/psn-quality-of-service-qos-specification
>
> So this 6 classes, we split voice signalling and media into two, with
> the media being an LLQ, and had a separate class to guarantee traffic
> for control and MGMT plane traffic (e.g. we can still SSH to our
> routers with a customer DoS is filling the pipes) we ended up with 8.
> Yay :(
>
> Cheers,
> James.
>
> [1] As is customary with any tech savvy government, they've since
> sacked off various PSN standards without providing any replacement so
> everyone is just sticking to the same expired standards for now
> <facepalm.gif>

I feel you - I've just never understood how customers can expect to
slice a First Class seat into more First Class seats than it already is
:-). Maybe you put your arm in one First Class seat, your head in a 2nd
First Class seat, and your buttocks in the another First Class seat :-)...

To make life more interesting, with everything now moving to the cloud,
let's see how we DiffServ that :-).

Mark.