[j-nsp] Use cases for IntServ in MPLS backbones

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Oct 2 07:03:56 EDT 2018

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 13:56, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> If only the whole Internet was ran by just one AS.

You continue to miss the point. You brought antispoofing as an
example, it's same thing, not everyone needs to do the right thing,
anyone changing is better. And as I pointed out, the discussion isn't
even 'how widely it works, if it doesn't work widely we shouldn't do
it' that's illogical. Discussion should be 'should work, should we
transit DSCP values as-is'.

If you globally test (ring, ripe) how DSCP transits Internet, it's not
horror story, it transit fairly well.

We should not promote idea that you MUST reset DSCP at edge, we should
promote idea you SHOULD tunnel your internal QoS, do not trust or
modify external DSCP. I fully understand that some networks have no
other recourse, they don't have overlay which to use QoS for, then
they MUST reset DSCP as they MUST act on DSCP, that's entirely valid
excuse. But networks which CAN transit it without caring about it,
SHOULD do it, rather than assume they know how DSCP is used and should
be used, they should assume they don't know and they're not going be
the network which stops others from using DSCP.

--
  ++ytti