[j-nsp] BFD Distributed Mode for IPv6

Vincent Bernat bernat at luffy.cx
Tue Oct 2 17:01:04 EDT 2018

 ❦  2 octobre 2018 20:13 +0100, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com>:

>> > Not exactly your scenario but we had the same problems with eBGP with
>> > IPv6 link-local addresses on QFX10K platform.
>> > Dev Team had replied that rather than hardware limitation it's more of
>> > a "design decision" to not distribute IPv6 LL BFD sessions on PFEs,
>> > it's the same behaviour across the MX/QFX/PTX portfolio and there are
>> > no plans to change it.
>
> I'd be interested to know if BFD works OK if you use public IPv6
> addresses for IS-IS adjacencies (although it's a waste of IPs, I'd
> still be curious).

Dunno with IS-IS, but with BGP, BFD is advertised as control plane
independent when using public IPv6 addresses. However, I've just noticed
that when using an IRB, BFD is handled by the control plane, both for
IPv6 and IPv4.
--
The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference
between a mermaid and a seal.