[j-nsp] MX80 Input Scheduling/Shaping

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Fri Oct 5 06:21:57 EDT 2018

Hi all,
I've looked at the docs and can't find this, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction here. What are the limitations/restrictions on using input scheduling and shaping on the MX80 MICs? I have the 'traffic-manager mode ingress-and-egress' configured for the PIC and the following configured as a test in the CoS interfaces stanza:

    ge-1/2/4 {
        scheduler-map eth-egress;
        input-scheduler-map eth-egress;
        shaping-rate 50m;
        input-shaping-rate 50m;

While this commits fine sometimes, it seems that whenever I make certain changes to other parts of the config, completely unrelated to ge-1/2/4, I get a commit error:

admin at mx80# show | compare
[edit interfaces]
+   ge-1/2/5 { /* OMITTED */ };
[edit bridge-domains bd1]
     interface ge-1/2/4.1 { ... }
+    interface ge-1/2/5.1;

[edit]
admin at mx80# commit check
[edit class-of-service interfaces ge-1/2/4 input-scheduler-map]
  'input-scheduler-map eth-egress'
    input scheduler map not allowed on interface ge-1/2/4
error: configuration check-out failed

[edit]
admin at mx80# rollback
load complete

[edit]
admin at mx80# commit check
configuration check succeeds

Sometimes I'll make a change, delete it, and the commit still won't work until I do a full rollback:

[edit]
admin at mx80# commit check
[edit class-of-service interfaces ge-1/2/4 input-scheduler-map]
  'input-scheduler-map eth-egress'
    input scheduler map not allowed on interface ge-1/2/4
error: configuration check-out failed

[edit]
admin at mx80# show | compare

[edit]
admin at mx80# rollback
load complete

[edit]
admin at mx80# commit check
configuration check succeeds

This particular MX80 is on 17.1R1.8, but production will likely just use whatever the recommended version is. What gives here? Are certain aspects of ingress CoS not supported by the MX80?

Thanks,
evt