[j-nsp] dsc interface on qfx5100

Niall Donaghy niall.donaghy at geant.org
Fri Oct 12 09:07:06 EDT 2018

Hi Jason,

Yes we (large ISP) tried using dsc interfaces (MX series) to count RTBH
traffic and found, 1) they don't count, and 2) IPv6 is unsupported for dsc.
As with many Junos features, there is not parity between IPv4 and IPv6.
That alone bugged us, but especially as the counters did not work, we
abandoned dsc and just made the IPv4 RTBH sink a discard route:

#
# Adjust to suit for VRFs / redistribute to your VRFs
#
set routing-options static route 192.0.2.101/32 discard
set routing-options static route 192.0.2.101/32 no-readvertise
set routing-options rib inet6.0 static route 0100::/64 discard
set routing-options rib inet6.0 static route 0100::/64 no-readvertise

So at the moment, you've got a dsc.0 which is about as useful as static
discard.

If anyone has gotten dsc counting with IPv4, and/or if things have changed
and IPv6 is supported, I'm curious to know.
Right now we're on 15.1F6-S10.4 targeting 17.4R2.4 for our next upgrade -
retesting dsc functionality is somewhat lower than low priority.

Br,
Niall