[j-nsp] Juniper Buffer Bloat

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:06:23 EDT 2018

On 17 October 2018 20:53:44 CEST, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
>I was wondering if Juniper supports anything like fq-codel to prevent
>buffer bloat? Specifically we would like to do rate shaping and
>subscriber
>management on core Juniper MX's. However, most network devices do
>simple
>buffers and queuing that does not work well compared to fq-codel and
>newer
>algorithms. Does anyone have advice when it comes to Juniper?

Hi Colton,

I'm pretty sure Juniper don't have anything like fq-codel in any of their products however, the place to do that would be on the CPE or edge access switch/router not your core.

Normally one would rate limit the customer on CPE LAN ingress and egress if you're doing multi-colour policing, or CPE WAN ingress and egress if just hard policing, or CPE WAN egress and PE egress if doing shaping. You don't want your customer to blast traffic into your network and this have to carry those packets across your core only to them drop them on your expensive  subscriber management box.

One normally wants to drop excess packets as close to the source as possiblr. So for that reason you want fq-codel on your CPE.

Cheers,
James.