[j-nsp] Juniper Buffer Bloat

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 18:26:59 EDT 2018

Benny,

That is what I was thinking. Throttle the customer upstream traffic at the
CPE so they can't upload anymore traffic into the network, and throttle
their downstream traffic at the provider edge (PE) or access switch so they
can't congest any more links than required.

For fq-codel on the CPE, fq-codel runs on linux / openwrt, so there are
many options there.

I am more wondering how to do this properly on the provider edge side. I
mentioned backbone/core before, and I really meant to say provider edge. On
the provider edge, that is mostly Juniper, so we can't just implement
fq-codel. So the question lines does Juniper have anything like fq-codel? I
know Juniper has the ability to shape downstream traffic, but can it do it
in a manner that doesn't increase latency like fq-codel?