[j-nsp] Strange issue

Lukas Tribus lists at ltri.eu
Mon Sep 10 17:20:01 EDT 2018

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 15:53, james list <jameslist72 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear experts
> I'm wondering if you can provide any hints/help on this problem.
>
> We experienced a strange issue in reaching the remote devices (servers) and
> perforiming bulk snmp walk, instead direct object query was working fine.

Sounds like a temporary MTU problem to me ...

> After an entire nigth of issues (22pm to 6am), the problem disappeared
> alone...

... on a backup path of that carrier, which was used during this time
and *should* have protected your circuit but did not deliver the full
MTU you require. When the primary path came back up, your service
return to normal.

Have the carrier confirm the reroute and ask to check the MTU on the
backup path.

> I think the carrier had some problem but I'm not able to prove it.
>

> Have you never seen this kind of issue ?

Always check the MTU in those cases and consider implementing it as an
additional check in your monitoring system.

lukas