[j-nsp] EVPN all-active toward large layer 2?

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Thu Apr 18 02:35:52 EDT 2019

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019, Krzysztof Szarkowicz wrote:

> Hi Rob,
> RFC 7432, Section 8.5:
>
>    If a bridged network is multihomed to more than one PE in an EVPN
>    network via switches, then the support of All-Active redundancy mode
>    requires the bridged network to be connected to two or more PEs using
>    a LAG.
>

> So, have you MC-LAG (facing EVPN PEs) configured on your switches?

No, hence the question...  I'd have expected ESI-LAG to be relevant for
EVPN, and in this case it's not a single "CE" device but rather an entire
layer 2 domain.  For a few of those, Juniper-flavored MC-LAG isn't an
option, anyway.  In any case, it's not clear what 8.5 means by "must be
connected using a LAG" -- from only one device in said bridged network?

-Rob