[j-nsp] Rock-solid JUNOS for QFX5100

Jason Healy jhealy at logn.net
Tue Aug 13 21:58:02 EDT 2019

On Aug 13, 2019, at 1:50 PM, Dan Římal <dan at danrimal.net> wrote:

> Model: qfx5100-48s-6q
> Junos: 17.3R3-S4.2
>
> Creating vlan means stop forwarding traffic for approx 3 seconds probably on trunk ports with allowed all vlans, or something like this. Pretty bad for bfd going through this ifaces.
>
> Does anyone have a similar issue?

We have attempted (twice) to get to 17 from 14 on our QFX 5100.  The first time we got to 16 and none of the interfaces would come up.  TAC couldn't figure it out on the spot and we reverted.  In the post-mortem they discovered that we had an "unsupported" config item (a discard interface) that essentially prevented the box from booting and bringing up any interfaces.

Second time we tried we got to version 16, but then the subsequent move to 17 was a disaster.  The switch ate all the DHCP traffic passing through it, rendering the network quite unusable.  Again TAC couldn't figure it out during the maintenance window so we rolled back.

So we're still on 16, but I haven't wanted to try another update.  Sounds like we might need to just jump to 18 and see if we can skip over some of this other stuff.

Jason