[j-nsp] vMX and SR-IOV, VFP xml dump

Chris lists+j-nsp at gbe0.com
Thu Aug 22 22:25:40 EDT 2019

Hi,

On 22/08/2019 6:34 pm, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:
> For some reason mine is acting as if there's some kind of throttling or pps rate performance issue.
> This is pinging not to the vMX but rather through the vMX so only VFP is at play.

Interesting, how much traffic are you talking about in PPS? For me, it
varies between 100k PPS in (and the same amount out) to 550k.

Are you using hyperthreading?

Is there anything throttling the CPU at the OS level or BIOS level? Eg.
for Dell servers the performance profile should be selected.

Assuming its an Intel CPU have you tried disabling the various
vulnerability mitigations?

> Unfortunately I have to say that so far the JTAC support has been useless.

Agreed, the only good support I have had for the vMX has been with the
developers directly.

> My biggest problem with the vmx.sh is that it does a lot of stuff behind the scenes which are not documented anywhere.
> It would be much better if the documentation explained how the information in the .conf file translates into actions or settings.

Fair enough, for me it isn't a problem but I understand where you are
coming from.

> Hmm good to know but yes using 19.2R1 currently for testing (has support for 40G interfaces)

I have not got around to testing this release yet, it would be good if
you can share any success/failure.

> Yes please if you could share the .conf file that would be great.

The config file was the same as I provided earlier. The startup script
is available here:

https://pastebin.com/raw/TyNCP4Jv

The script makes a few assumptions that may not apply to your environment:

* The installation path to the vMX (I extract the vMX tar.gz to
/home/vMX-<RELEASE>). I then create a symlink for /home/vMX to the
release that I am using.

* All interfaces I have defined are SR-IOV and there is a single VF.

* The host OS is CentOS.

* I hand off the rest of the startup to vmx.sh, the only reason I use
this script is to make sure that the NIC setup is correct.

You can probably make some improvements to the script (on my list of
things to do is make this apply to a wider range of setups) but I have
not been able to find the time as of yet.

Thanks