[j-nsp] QFX5100 red alarm after power-off

Richard McGovern rmcgovern at juniper.net
Fri Feb 15 15:01:11 EST 2019

From https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/chassis-qfx5100-status-leds.html

Red Alarm = A major hardware fault has occurred, such as a temperature alarm or power failure, and the switch has halted.

From this it appears NOT having the Management Port active but configured is consider a "major hardware fault" when switch is in 'system halt or power-off' state.  I might very well assume that besides QFX5100 other products, like 5110 and EX4600 and maybe other EX switches, function the same.

For EX4300 its page states, for RED Alarm:

There is a major alarm. A major alarm indicates a critical error condition that requires immediate attention.

Note: When you connect power to the switch, the Alarm (ALM) LED glows red. This behavior is normal. Plugging an active Ethernet cable into the management (MGMT) port on the switch completes the network link and turns off the ALM LED. (See Connecting a Device to a Network for Out-of-Band Management.)

Connecting the switch to a dedicated management console instead of a network does not affect the ALM LED. The LED remains red until the switch is connected to a network.

An easy test for your QFX5100 would be to power it up and disconnect Management Port and see if alarm goes RED, that is, works like EX4300.

My 2 cents worth.

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

On 2/14/19, 12:33 PM, "Anderson, Charles R" <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:

    Maybe it lights the red alarm LED so that someone looking knows that it is shutdown/halted, not running normally.