[j-nsp] JunOS interop problems with RFC5549

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Feb 19 16:08:17 EST 2019

Brian Rak <brak at gameservers.com> writes:

> They both negotiate the Extended next hop capability, and JunOS
> accepts the routes just fine if I make Cumulus only send 16 byte
> nexthops (still IPv6, just not containing a link-local address)

Ah, right.  And the RFC2545 requirements are also fulfilled?:

   The link-local address shall be included in the Next Hop field if and
   only if the BGP speaker shares a common subnet with the entity
   identified by the global IPv6 address carried in the Network Address
   of Next Hop field and the peer the route is being advertised to.

   In all other cases a BGP speaker shall advertise to its peer in the
   Network Address field only the global IPv6 address of the next hop
   (the value of the Length of Network Address of Next Hop field shall
   be set to 16).

Bjørn