[j-nsp] OSPF reference-bandwidth 1T

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jan 24 03:55:58 EST 2019

On 16/Jan/19 17:41, Saku Ytti wrote:

> No one should be using bandwidth based metrics, it's quite
> non-sensical. I would recommend that if you have only few egress
> points for given prefix, adopt role based metric P-PE, P-P-city,
> P-P-country etc. If you have many egress options for given prefix
> latency based metric might be better bet.
>
> Traffic should fit your ideal SPT, if you are not able to engineer so
> that SPT has enough capacity, run RSVP to move some traffic off SPT.

We designed both latency- and funtion-based metrics, based on a
reference bandwidth of 1Tbps. Works well, although, yes, you can design
this without the reference bandwidth in mind.

Luckily, when 1Tbps goes mainstream, it's easy to continue with our
approach without worrying about why we needed the 1Tbps reference
bandwidth in the first place.

Mark.