[j-nsp] Finding drops

Jason Lixfeld jason-jnsp at lixfeld.ca
Thu Jan 24 09:43:26 EST 2019

Hey Adam,

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 5:51 AM, <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> wrote:
>
> Is the test stream unidirectional please? -say from left (the mx1 side) to right (mx2 side) please? Or bidirectional please?

It’s been bi-directional, in that the Rx Tester is set to loopback. More or less only so I could see the number of packets received out the far side.  This tester won’t count ingress packets unless it’s in loopback mode, or actually running some test.

In any event, turning the loopback off doesn’t have any effect on the results.

> Now that you're looking at the right router.
> Can you please run the: show pfe statistics traffic fpc 0 | match "cell|drops"
> on mx1
> If it shows info cell drops then that means the PFE can't cope with the PPS rate.

No matches here.  As Saku eluded to.

Are there no specs published that provide the max number of pps @ 64 bytes the MPC7?

> -is the flow-control disabled on all interfaces involved with this test please? (we don't want the mx2 to send pause frames to et-0/0/0  on mx1 when it can't cope with the ingress PPS rate, skewing the results)

It is disabled.

jlixfeld at mx1# wildcard range show interfaces et-0/0/[0,2] | display set | match flow
set interfaces et-0/0/0 ether-options no-flow-control
set interfaces et-0/0/2 ether-options no-flow-control

[edit]
jlixfeld at mx1#

jlixfeld at mx2# wildcard range show interfaces et-0/0/[0,2] | display set | match flow
set interfaces et-0/0/0 ether-options no-flow-control
set interfaces et-0/0/2 ether-options no-flow-control

[edit]
jlixfeld at mx2#