[j-nsp] ARP resolution algorithm? Storage of MX transit packets?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jan 31 03:51:01 EST 2019

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 at 10:34, Robert Raszuk <robert at raszuk.net> wrote:

> As mentioned on the other thread decent routers should resolve peer's IP to mac when creating FIB adj and building rewrite entries.
> There is no "first packet" notion nor any ARPing driven by packet reception. This should apply to p2p adj as well as p2mp - classic LANs.

> Are you guys saying that say MXes don't do that ?

I'm not sure what you are saying. I must misunderstand, but are you
saying once I configure /8 LAN, router ARPs all of them periodically
until the end of time, retaining unresolved, resolved cache for each
of /8? Which router does this?

At least routers I've worked with punt traffic destined to unresolved
addresses and then build HW adjacency. No traffic to given /32, not
adjacency, no knowledge of DMAC.

--
  ++ytti