[j-nsp] Finding drops

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Thu Jan 31 10:46:30 EST 2019

Hi Jason,
Sorry missed the previous email,

Hmm interesting, so it's capped at the WA block then not on the ASIC, good to know.
On MPC7s we did not run into this issue but rather to the chip overload problem
>From my notes:
MPC7 24x10GE per PFE that is 2x212.773Mpps (425.546Mpps two directions) -> 17.73Mpps per 10GE
MPC7 20x10GE per PFE that is 2x212.773Mpps (425.546Mpps two directions) -> 21.28Mpps per 10GE
Just for reference:
Line-rate 10Gbps at L2(64B)@L1(84B) is 29.761Mpps (two directions

Under NDA you can get what juniper tested internally, some graphs etc..
But it's better to do your own testing (in a specific use case)

See the full linerate performance is not there so that you can send 64b packets at 100G no one would do that -but it's terher to give you some headroom to send packets of normal size and do some processing while maintaining the performance.
So yes with 100GE capable chips you have to be careful nowadays on what features you enable.

adam