[j-nsp] EVPN - BGP attribute propagation on MXes

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Wed Jul 3 02:36:18 EDT 2019

> Guillermo Fernando Cotone
> Sent: Monday, July 1, 2019 3:39 PM
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone have implemented BGP attribute propagation using EVPN
> route type-5?
> We're trying to get BGP community propagation over an EVPN L3VNI, but so
> far we had no luck. I've no idea if there's any knob to enable this.
>
> Our use-case is to connect BGP islands through an EVPN backbone, and we
> expect BGP attributes, such as communities, to be propagated over the
> backbone. Pretty much standard IP-VPN behavior. Also referenced here:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rabadan-sajassi-bess-evpn-ipvpn-
> interworking-02#section-4.2
>
> I'm not sure if this is actually supported on Juniper. We're running
17.3R3-
> S2.2.

I'm sorry, we discovered too many "you're router might explode TM" bugs in
the recent SURR (again) so nope still don't feel at all comfortable to run
EVPN on Junos in production.
This is our 3rd code upgrade over the years where we're trying to get EVPN
working as its supposed to, but I'm starting to think that Juniper is just
not the right vendor for running EVPN, they will get there eventually, just
not ready, still.

adam