[j-nsp] 802.3ad LAG between ASR 1002-X and Juniper MX204

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Fri Jul 19 15:56:47 EDT 2019

On 7/19/19, 3:40 PM, "Gert Doering" <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:
    That sounds a bit weird... why should the device care how the other
    end balances its packets?  Never heard anyone state this, and I can't
    come up with a reason why.

 *sigh*

I'd been focusing way too much on the config portion of the documentation that I completely skimmed over the very first paragraph:

"MX Series routers with Aggregated Ethernet PICs support symmetrical load balancing on an 802.3ad LAG. This feature is significant when two MX Series routers are connected transparently through deep packet inspection (DPI) devices over an LAG bundle. DPI devices keep track of flows and require information of a given flow in both forward and reverse directions. Without symmetrical load balancing on an 802.3ad LAG, the DPIs could misunderstand the flow, leading to traffic disruptions. By using this feature, a given flow of traffic (duplex) is ensured for the same devices in both directions."

Carry on, nothing to see here...