[j-nsp] EVPN VXLAN vs sFLOW on a QFX5100

Darrell Budic darrell.budic at newcontinuum.net
Tue Jul 23 10:55:02 EDT 2019

I think I know the answer to this, but figured I’d double check with the more knowledgeable folk here. I’m using some QFX5100s with 18.3R3 in an EVPN mesh, and that’s working as expected. But I’m not getting sFLOW from them. Didn’t see anything on the EVPN limitations page, but have since reviewed the Configuring sFLOW Technology page (https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/sflow-qfx-series-cli.html) which states it’s not supported on a VXLAN interface.

So apparently, that means an interface that a VXLAN vlan has been assigned to, and not the vtep.xxxx logical interfaces. And while ‘show sflow detail’ indicates it’s enabled and running, I only get the packet counters from the QFX and not any flow samples.

So no sFLOW from interfaces using VXLAN. Anyone know of any work arounds, or know if this is a chipset limitation or if it might be supported in a later version of the software?

Thanks!

 -Darrell