[j-nsp] Silly question for a Friday

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Sat Jun 8 13:53:53 EDT 2019

Once upon a time, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> said:
> > I can "show route <hostname>" and JUNOS will do a DNS lookup and show
> > the route for the resolved IP.  Is there any way to control that for
> > hosts with multiple IPs, especially IPv6?
>
> Not that I am aware of. But in your mind, how would this ideally work,
> how do you control which A record is returned without communicating
> the A record? Or would you just have it print route for all of them?
> Certainly you could write python op script to do that.

Possibly print the route for each returned record (minimizing to only
show each path once would be a bonus).  The bigger thing that got me
thinking about this is that there's no way to say "show route <host>"
and see the IPv6 route instead of the IPv4 route (for the case of a host
with just one A and AAAA record).  I guess JUNOS does the DNS resolution
and picks what to look up before it gets to looking at what table you've
asked for (so adding "table inet6.0" doesn't work).

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>