[j-nsp] IPv6 firewall policy for MX

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Jun 29 03:30:49 EDT 2019

Hey Lee,

> I think you need to take some time to understand IPv6 before implementing.
> The book examples don't restrict RS/RA to link local, are too open on
> things like BGP and traceroute. Trio hardware also has payload-protocol
> available in addition to next-header for matching.

I don't think there is any need to. We've troubleshooted many outages
caused by customers limiting NS/NA to link-local or GUA, which may
work and may stop working when one end changes.

Robust and secure rule would be something like:

            term icmp:nd {
                from {
                    next-header icmp6;
                    icmp-type [ router-solicit router-advertisement
neighbor-solicit neighbor-advertisement ];
                    hop-limit 255;
                }
                then {
                    count icmp:nd;
                    accept;
                }
            }
            term icmp {
                from {
                    next-header icmp6;
                    icmp-type [ echo-reply echo-request time-exceeded
destination-unreachable packet-too-big parameter-problem ];
                }
                then {
                    policer police_local;
                    count icmp;