[j-nsp] Hyper Mode on MX

Michael Hare michael.hare at wisc.edu
Fri Mar 8 11:54:59 EST 2019

Franz-

I have used successfully used hyper mode on MPC4E in M2K for a few years with little regrets.   I chose to do this as I didn't have the equipment to do line rate testing and I do a significant amount of counters on untrusted ports.  As others have suggested, you need to know feature limitations.  We certainly do .1q as well as double tagging so the vlan padding feature is not what you think it is.

Re MX204, I read that line rate thread differently.  I thought hypermode actually increased PPS on the ingress processing side but I 100% agree that hypermode does NOT affect the WO queue difference on the MX204.  So in short I think there is some benefit in enabling hypermode on MX204 but not the full benefit of a native MPC7 if you have a especially complex ingress ACL policy?

-Michael