[j-nsp] 400G is coming?

Thomas Bellman bellman at nsc.liu.se
Mon Mar 18 16:45:58 EDT 2019

On 2019-03-14 13:40 -0400, Andrey Kostin wrote:

> Accidentally found that MX series datasheet now mentions MPC-10E with
> 400G ports
> https://www.juniper.net/assets/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000597-en.pdf
[...]
> the MPC-10E protects existing investments

Gah, I hate that wording.  To me it sounds like "sunk cost fallacy"
and "throwing good money after bad"...  (I'm not necessarily saying
that applies to these cards.  It's just that I have heard the words
"protect your investment" too many times when it would be much
cheaper and better to throw out and replace the old stuff entirely.
Seeing that in advertisments thus trigger my bullsh*t klaxons.)

> MPC10E-10C
> Modular port concentrator with 8xQSPF28 multirate
> ports (10/40/100GbE) plus 2xQSFP56-DD multirate
> ports (10/40/100/400GbE)
> MPC10E-15C
> Modular port concentrator with 12xQSPF28 multirate
> ports (10/40/100GbE) plus 3xQSFP56-DD multirate
> ports (10/40/100/400GbE)

It seems these are oversubscribed to the backplane.  8×100G + 2×400G
is 1.6 Tbit/s, and 12×100G + 3×400G is 2.4 Tbit/s, but all three of
MX240, MX480 and MX960 are listed as having 1.5 Tbit/s max per slot.
(And is that 1.5 Tbit/s in *and* out, or is that just 750 Gbit/s per
direction?)

And nothing for 400G DWDM/coherent, that I can see.  I expect service
providers would like that, to run 400G on their long distance links
without having to have external transponders.

For our own use, I'm also hoping for linecards supporting 50G ports
(specifically, 50Gbase-LR) soonish.  We have two MX480s as our border
routers (provided by our ISP) and currently have 100G uplinks to the
ISP, and are connecting our datacenter to the MX480s using multiple
10G links to our DC spines.  We are kind of hoping to be able to up-
grade to 50G connections next year, or possibly the year after that.

	/Bellman