[j-nsp] 4x1G QSFP?

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Thu May 23 16:15:11 EDT 2019

Once upon a time, Simon Lockhart <simon at slimey.org> said:
> On Thu May 23, 2019 at 03:07:00PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Ah, okay.  This may be a dumber question then: do SFP+ optics typically
> > support a 1G mode as well?  I've never actually tried that (just plugged
> > a 1G SFP into the SFP+ port as needed).
>
> MX204 supports 1G SFPs in the SFP+ ports. (MX10003 doesn't have any SFP+ ports)

Right, I've got some MX204s with 1G SFPs in the SFP+ ports (had to get
18.0 for that support), and yeah, I was just looking for a potential way
to get some 1G fiber connections into an MX10003.

> I've seen 10G SFP+ modules inserted in 1G SFP ports, and work just fine at
> 1G, but I suspect it depends on using an SFP+ that's multirate.

Right.  But what you are saying is that a QSFP+ 4x10G will actually run
a channel at 1G (to a 1G SFP in another device for example)?

Thanks.
--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>