[j-nsp] MX204 vs. MX240??

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Fri Nov 8 11:39:26 EST 2019

I wanted to resurrect an old thread about the MX204, from a year and a
half ago:

https://lists.gt.net/nsp/juniper/64290

My understanding is that the MX204 is a 1 RU MPC7, but with a few
modifications. I understand that the eight 10Gig ports have been modified
to allow for 1 Gig transceivers as well, and perhaps that the QSFP ports
can accommodate a pigtail for providing a bunch of 1 Gig connections, if
necessary.

The 10/40/100 capabilities of the MPC7 look great, but there are few
isolated cases where I need to support legacy 1 gig, and the MX204 can now
handle that. Is this true?

Also, I understand that the MX204 CPU and other resources are a vast
improvement over the MX80, and that the MX204 can handle multiple full
Internet route BGP feeds, just as well as the MX240 REs can, without
compromise in performance.

The newer VM support inside the RE makes the requirements for an
additional RE less important now, according to my understanding.

So, if you do not need a lot of speeds and feeds, and can live without a
physical backup RE, the MX204 would be a good alternative to a MX240.

Have I made accurate assumptions??

Clarke Morledge
Network Engineering
Information Technology