[j-nsp] Managing MX480 fxp0

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Mon Nov 25 12:41:31 EST 2019

This used to be possible by setting the "net.pfe.transit_re" (or similar) value using sysctl, but I'm not sure if it still works on newer Junos versions:

https://www.kumari.net/index.php/networking/tips-and-tricks/14-

I would not do this on production router, though. If you need to reach your fxp0 from locations outside of your OOB subnet, I think the practice is to either use source NAT on a device that has connectivity to your OOB or you should put fxp0 into a routing-instance using 'management-instance' on Junos 17.x and above (I believe). One caveat to doing the latter is that if you use TACACS (and possibly RADIUS) for authentication and your source address is the router loopback IP in inet.0, your 'mgmt_junos' instance needs to have static routes for the TACACS servers installed:

routing-options {
    static {
        route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop 172.16.14.1; # Default route for fxp0 network
        route 192.0.2.55/32 next-table inet.0;  # Public lo0.0 IP
        route 10.55.234.90/32 next-table inet.0; # TACACS server
    }
}

In my environment, this was necessary, but YMMV.

-evt