[j-nsp] Copper interface on EX4200 VC becomes a VC-Port?

Josh Baird joshbaird at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 10:33:27 EDT 2019

Hi all,

I have an EX4200 VC stack where a copper interface (0/8 below) has
suddenly became a VC port:

> show virtual-chassis vc-port
fpc0:
Interface   Type              Trunk  Status       Speed        Neighbor
or                             ID                 (mbps)       ID  Interface
PIC / Port
vcp-0       Dedicated           2    Up           32000        1   vcp-0
vcp-1       Dedicated           1    Up           32000        1   vcp-1
0/8         Auto-Configured    -1    Up           1000

fpc1:
Interface   Type              Trunk  Status       Speed        Neighbor
or                             ID                 (mbps)       ID  Interface
PIC / Port
vcp-0       Dedicated           2    Up           32000        0   vcp-0
vcp-1       Dedicated           1    Up           32000        0   vcp-1
0/8         Auto-Configured    -1    Up           1000

Does anyone know why this would happen or how to safely remove it as a
VC-port?  I did find the following thread that doesn't really present a
solution/explanation:

https://forums.juniper.net/t5/Ethernet-Switching/EX3300-normal-port-suddenly-change-to-VC-Port/td-p/302245

Furthermore, it doesn't even appear that copper interfaces are supported as
VC-ports on this platform.

This VC stack is running 12.3R9.4.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh