[j-nsp] BPDUs over EVPN?

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Thu Oct 17 17:37:16 EDT 2019

Seeing something "interesting" after an 18.1R3 to 18.4R1 upgrade on some
EVPN PEs: the 18.4 boxes are now emitting BPDUs toward the CE interfaces
containing pre-translation VLAN IDs from the CEs attached to remote PEs,
which as far as I can tell are originating from the remote CE.

Is EVPN expected to be forwarding BPDUs at all, intact or otherwise?

If yes, is that dependent on how it's configured?  In this case, it's
VLAN-aware virtual switch instances everywhere, rewriting tags for
multiple VLANs.  Does PBB change things?  We hit another bug where 18.1
was convinced these are PBB configs, when they're not...

Given the discrepancy between releases, which one is wrong?  I'm two weeks
into a TAC case that's been passed around several times and still have no
answers to any of these questions, would appreciate hearing from anyone
who actually knows.  Thanks!

-Rob