[j-nsp] BPDUs over EVPN?

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Fri Oct 18 05:08:01 EDT 2019

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 05:37:16PM -0400, Rob Foehl wrote:
>> Is EVPN expected to be forwarding BPDUs at all, intact or otherwise?
>
> The way understand "how things are meant to be plugged together", you
> should not see forwarded BPDUs - "containing layer2 madness to one
> attachment site" is the whole point, isn't it?
>
> I could see very special cases where it would be necessary, but that
> would need to be a non-default-enabled switch.

Right, I'd only expect this to work in very specific "make it entirely
transparent" cases...  It looks like both Cisco and Huawei document
options related to BPDU tunneling, and neither enable any of it by
default.  Not coming up with much else for comparison.

Juniper is now telling me that this is occuring by design, but can't point
to any documentation or standards which support that, nor explain why it
suddenly changed post-upgrade.  I'm... not convinced.

-Rob