[j-nsp] BPDUs over EVPN?

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Fri Oct 18 12:17:28 EDT 2019

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019, Gert Doering wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 01:37:21PM +0200, Daniel Verlouw wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 11:45 AM Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:
>>> If yes, is this something people do over EVPN?
>>
>> as an extension to 'plain' EVPN, yes. It's called EVPN-VPWS, RFC 8214.
>> Basically EVPN without the MAC learning.
>
> Thanks, this is enlightening.
>
> Are there vendor implementations?

For the Juniper flavor:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/evpn-vpws-signaling-mechanisms-overview.html

Has some nice advantages over traditional pseudowire/CCC setups, although
I have yet to replace one with full EVPN-VPWS since nearly all wound up
being used as "really long cable between layer 3 interfaces" in practice.

Incidentally, RFC 8214 doesn't mention BPDUs anywhere, either... ;)

-Rob