[j-nsp] BPDUs over EVPN?

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Oct 22 07:51:31 EDT 2019

> Rob Foehl
> Sent: Monday, October 21, 2019 9:44 PM
>
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2019, Rob Foehl wrote:
>
> > Juniper is now telling me that this is occuring by design, but can't
> > point to any documentation or standards which support that, nor
> > explain why it suddenly changed post-upgrade.  I'm... not convinced.
>
> Plot twist: the BPDUs in question turned out to be PVST+ BPDUs from an
> unknown source, that were helpfully converted to MSTP BPDUs by some on-
> by-default compatibility feature on an ancient pair of 6509s -- which then
> started complaining loudly about and attempting to block ports based on
the
> nonsensical MSTP BPDUs which they'd made up.
>
> Ugh.  This is why we can't have nice things.
>
> Anyway...  This still leaves the questions of why this became apparent
only
> after an upgrade, why there are now multiple disagreements between
> stated and observed behavior regarding regular BPDUs, and whether any of
> this is correct.  Case is still open, I'll follow up when I know more...

We had two recent cases that seem to follow a familiar pattern here:
-working behaviour breaks after a code upgrade
-and no documentation supporting the change in behaviour no notifications or
anything mentioned in the release notes

Looks like Juniper decided to start changing well established (default)
behaviours between codes without mentioning it anywhere.
Not a good practice...

adam