EX2300-C-12P PoE issues

Chris Lee chris at datachaos.com.au
Thu Sep 5 06:34:33 EDT 2019

Hi,

Wondering if anyone is successfully running EX2300-C-12P switches with at
least 8x PoE devices connected ?

We've just encountered an issue in the last week across 2 of these switches
at different locations with around 10x PoE CCTV cameras connected, and only
the first 7 ports (ge-0/0/0 to ge-0/0/6) providing PoE power.

One switch is running JUNOS 15.1X53-D591.1 and the other is JUNOS
18.1R3-S7.1.

Both have had the PoE firmware controller update done on them that comes
with releases beyond 15.1X53-D58 I think it was, which when you look at
firmware detail the PoE version on chassis is  2.1.1.19.3

I have an active JTAC case open for it, I've done PR Search and can't see
anything against POE or Power for either of those two releases that relate
to the EX2300/3400 series.

In both cases the PoE cameras on the end of the line are very low power
bullet / fixed style cameras only drawing around 3 watts each, and the most
I've seen reported on show poe controller is around 25 watts power draw
which is no where near the EX2300-C-12Ps max power budget of 146watts.

If I deliberately disable PoE on an interface like ge-0/0/0, then after a
minute or so interface ge-0/0/7 will then magically start providing power,
and as soon as I rollback the config and commit it will revert right back
to port ge-0/0/7 providing no power, and ge-0/0/0 powering up.

Thanks,
Chris