[j-nsp] Suggestions for Edge/Peering Router..

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Wed Sep 18 17:15:43 EDT 2019

   I am looking to replace an older Cisco I have sitting down in
Equinix, and have l have had a few tell me that I should look at the
Juniper routers as well.   I need a router with at least eight 10GE
ports (12 to 16 is desirable), so the option for more would be nice,
plus I also need dozen or so GE ports.  I also need it to be able to
handle full routing, so where my current unit will top out at about a
million routes (which I know is coming between IPv4 and IPv6), I want an
option that can handle 2 to hopefully at least 4 million routes so we
can continue out current transit and peering relationships.

  Another thing that is important is some redundancy, so having a unit
with redundant processors and power would pretty much a much to keep
everyone happy, as the current gear is redundant.

  I am new to the Juniper realm, so when looking at options like the
MX240 and MX480, I see there are different midplanes, power supplies,
and line cards for the chassis, so am looking to learn more about this
possible choice.   Also how is Juniper licensing handled, as honestly I
would like to pick this stuff up in the used market as I know it will
save a ton, but again don't want to back myself into the corner and end
up with a pile of useless hardware.

  If any can share some info, on or off list on this topic, it would
sure be appreciated before I pick a direction to go..

---
Howard Leadmon
PBW Communications, LLC
http://www.pbwcomm.com