[j-nsp] Suggestions for Edge/Peering Router..

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Sep 19 03:09:50 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 05:04:54PM +1200, Phil Reilly wrote:
> MX104's are the dual brain unit of the 204. Though a 204 has 40/100G
> capabilities. If I read your original request correctly about ip
> routing. Not sure the 104/204 is grunty enough to deal with multiple
> internet tables. Thats a demanding task these days best left to the
> larger chassis.

You can't really compare MX104 to MX204.

The MX104 is ppc based and *slow*, and should have never ever shipped.

The MX204 is a really really nice box, with a fast intel RE and 40/100G
ports (though some - documented - restrictions on how they can be combined),
and from a RE/BGP point of view, en par with the larger MXes.

And given the price point of the MX204, if the amount of interfaces is
sufficient, just get two of them :-)

gert