[j-nsp] Suggestions for Edge/Peering Router..

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Thu Sep 19 08:11:08 EDT 2019

Ideally I'd like to see equivalent of Cisco's dynamic update peer-groups in Junos.

> If monolith is good or bad, I'm not sure. If you thread you have high
> performance with some risk. If you have process separation you have IPC
> problem, and you have low performance and many will solve this by
> duplicating state. Junos is moving towards multi process model with Junos
> Evolved, if this will be positive or negative direction remains to be seen.

I like where XR and Junos Evolved is heading,
In future I'd like to have the option to install only stuff I need on a particular type of node/deployment and not worry about the rest all the way to being able to mix and match protocols of different vendors.
Although cRPD is also interesting development pathway, but again cBGP would be even better :)

> Operationally speaking, BGP in JunOS for us works great, on IOS-XR right now
> we have sessions where policy isn't what is configured and there is no way to
> verify which one, and we've propagated leaks because acting configuration
> isn't the one we've configured. We've not had similar problems in JunOS. This
> is anecdote, not data.

Right this inconsistency between configured and operational state in my opinion is THE biggest problem of XR, I'm afraid it has to be something fundamental since they haven't been able to consistently address these inconsistencies across the board for years now (or ASR9k HW? Not sure if these types of issues can be experienced on other platforms).
Though usually it's CP state does not trickle down to DP correctly/completely where what you described seems to be CP only.

adam