[j-nsp] Suggestions for Edge/Peering Router..

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Sep 19 11:42:58 EDT 2019

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 18:36, <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> wrote:

> In cisco these should be under common update group

This is a fair point. I've not tried to create unique peer-groups with
non-unique policies so this has escaped me.

> What is dynamic is that the peer 192.0.2.41 will be kicked out of group 11 if configured with different export policy
> And reset in that process unfortunately

Quite, so I guess to be eligible for update group junos has two
constraints and ios has one, junos constraints are same egress-policy
and same peer-group, ios constraints same egress-policy. I can
understand thne rationale to both, junos rationale makes sense in a
context where you want to force update-group separation when you know
the two sets are not guaranteed to have the same policy every time.

Of course the ideal solution would be to never reset and use as few
update groups as theoretically possible. But for me as an operator,
both behaviour are good enough and don't really bite operationally, as
I can design configuration around it.

--
  ++ytti