[j-nsp] Netflow config for MX204

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Apr 12 04:43:41 EDT 2020

On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 at 03:53, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> On 11/Apr/20 08:04, Nick Schmalenberger via juniper-nsp wrote:
> > I had the same issue with first trying to export over fxp0, then
>
> We just export flows in-band. Just seems simpler, and has been reliable
> for close to 10 years.

in-band is right, Trio can export the flow itself, you will kill your
performance if you do non-revenue port export.

In my mind JNPR non-revenue ports have no use-case. They are dangerous
with no utility. Cisco is much better here, as they offer true OOB
non-revenue ports. JNPR non-revenue port is a convenient way to
quickly break a lot of your network at the same time, as they entirely
fate-share the control-plane. Cisco has non-revenue ports with their
own isolated management-plane, so state of your control-plane will not
impact the management-plane vice versa.
I think Nokia has true OOB ports too. We should start pushing JNPR to
jump on board. RS232 is not true OOB either, as it fate-shares the
control-plane, but it's lot better than JNPR non-revenue-ports, as
breaking the system is lot harder from there, and as well as break is
HW interrupt, which means, you can potentially reload  your host from
RS232 even if the host Linux is halted/non-responsive, but requires
non-standard+hidden config.

--
  ++ytti