[j-nsp] Junos Telemetry Interface

Dario Amaya darioamaya82 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 08:58:31 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 4:46 AM Aaron Gould <aaron1 at gvtc.com> wrote:

> You’re welcome Colton.  I understand there are 2 different ways to do telemetry on Juniper.  One called Native and the other called gRPC/openconfig.  I’ve done the Native form.  I think the native form is a configured form where by which the network device constantly streams the sensor objects… and conversely, the gRPC form is subscription based where the management app/computer, subscribes to the network device to receive telem data objects.
>
> I understand the native form to be executed in hardware near the monitored object….and because of this, highly scalable.    And the grpc/openconfig form runs on re cpu.

I'm also deploying native JTI at the moment on some MX devices. I have
got OpenNTI working, and managed to get traffic graphs working in
Grafana using it.

I'm now trying to set each part of this up individually without
Docker, for a more production ready setup. I've been following this
blog:

https://openeye.blog/2017/10/31/serving-up-opennti-deconstructed/

I'm trying to get my head around the difference between fluentd and
Telegraf, what does each one do, and why are both of these required?