[j-nsp] Junos Telemetry Interface

Martin Tonusoo martin at jumation.com
Wed Apr 22 09:06:41 EDT 2020

Hi Aaron,

> I tried decimals and zero to see what would happen, seems that 1 is the
lowest.

Looks like it is possible to configure 0 as a reporting-rate
using ephemeral database, but then the device simply does not send any
telemetry data.

I also did some further testing with Grafana and it looks like the 5 second
aggregation mentioned in my previous e-mail is too short time-interval for
Junos telemetry data. I built a small setup where the server sent exactly
10 ICMP "echo request" packets with 1472 byte payload in each second to vMX
router using the ge-0/0/1.88 interface. There was no other traffic on that
link. Telemetry data was exported from the vMX over another link using the
shortest possible "reporting-rate". 30 second screencast with 5 second
aggregation can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/Cfn6Lwp.gif ..and with 30
second aggregation: https://i.imgur.com/OSKPSYr.gif With 5 second
aggregation the graph is cleary way too choppy and while it's better with
30 second interval, then ideally the graph should be a flat line at 120
kbps.
There are probably technical reasons for this, but it's weird that PFE
sensors telemetry data in Junos is exported that infrequently. Especially
native sensors which are exported by PFE directly.

WBR,
Martin