[j-nsp] How to pick JUNOS Version

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Thu Aug 20 12:42:29 EDT 2020

On 19/Aug/20 17:12, Roger Wiklund wrote:

> I'm not sure how long Arista can keep the single binary approach as they
> expand their portfolio
> and feature set. For example it makes very little sense to have full BNG
> code on EX access switches, imge would be huge.

We've seen this play before. It's a matter of time.

> As for JTAC recommended release, it's a very generic recommendation not
> taking specific use cases into consideration (Except for EVPN-VXLAN CRB/ERB)
> Typically Juniper considers R3 releases to be mainstream adoptable (reality
> is more like R3-S<latest>) but you will sleep better if you do proper
> testing and to avoid regression bugs etc.
>
> You can always ask your friendly SE for some guidance.

I've generally only chosen specific code because it has a new feature I
want, and then I stick with it until I can't any longer, typically due
to it not having extended support.

The other reason to choose code is because, well, you have no choice,
e.g., they release an MPC20E line card that mandates the use of Junos
43. Take it or leave it.

If I'm happy with the features I have, I won't look at other code unless
it introduces a new feature I need, or it receives no more love from
Juniper.

Mark.