[j-nsp] SRX1500 cluster issues

Floris Termorshuizen floris at nedcomp.nl
Mon Jan 20 03:23:23 EST 2020

Hi Muddasir,

Two things to keep in mind:
- The redundancy group has a threshold of 255, when it reaches 0 (The weight of each interface configured under interface-monitor gets substracted) the RG fails over to the other node.
- Interfaces on the passive node will not pass traffic (as far as I know).

With your current configuration if interface xe-0/0/16 goes down (on the primary node), no failover occurs because there is a weight of 100, and the reth goes down (or is up but not passing traffic, not sure what happens)

The solution is to make sure the RG1 failover threshold gets reached when needed. This might depend on your exact configuration and your wishes. So if you want to failover when 1 interface goes down, configure a weight of 255, if you have 4 interfaces connected to two switches you might configure a weight of 128 per interface (so when two interfaces go down the total weight is 256 and the threshold is reached).

Now about the LACP: There is some form of LACP involved in the reth interfaces, for example if you create a reth with 4 interfaces connected to two switches you need to configure two LACP bundle's (one per firewall node) on the switches. So I'm not surprised you would see this in te log's.

HTH,
Floris