[j-nsp] ACX5448 & ACX710

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jan 22 12:18:38 EST 2020

On 22/Jan/20 18:48, Gert Doering wrote:

> If you do more than "basic packet switching" the ASR920 is so
> amazingly buggy...  so having an alternative in this space for
> "basic IP/IPv6/MPLS routing for little money" would be certainly
> welcome.

This is what I've been saying since 2009.

Cisco had the ME3600X/3800X, and the only real competitor at the time
was the Brocade CES/CER2000 NetIron.

Juniper missed the mark.

Fast forward to 2020, Cisco have the ASR920 and there is no real
competitor from any vendor that can challenge them, really.

Again, Juniper missed the mark.

One thing Juniper have been certain about telling me - they do not plan
to create a MX204-Lite.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

For them, their Metro-E solution is the ACX - and judging from past
performance, my level of faith is very low. When a vendor tells me that,
"Well, the new Broadcom chip is miles better than the old Broadcom
chip", I get the feeling that in 2030, they will still be using that
very same line.

If Cisco can develop a custom chip for the ASR920 that can be sold for a
decent price and still do the work in the field, Juniper's refusal, to
me, is rooted in their bedrock internal principles... the same ones that
made them famous for, "A single Junos for all our boxes". We know how
well that turned out.

Mark.